Friday, April 15, 2011

Sylvester Magee Last American Slave and Last Union Veteran's Autograph


Yesterday the world’s oldest living man died.  He was Walter Breuning born 21 Sept 1896 and he was 114.  But I want to talk about a man who was even older and covered more territory.

This man’s name was Sylvester Magee and he was born in 1841 and died in 1971.  Yes that right, he was 130 years old.  Born a slave and worked on a plantation in Mississippi, he escaped to freedom and joined the Union army, in 1863. Although he had no documentation of his war service, he was admitted to the VA hospital in Jackson in 1966 for pneumonia and later discharged.

Records in the probate division of the Chancery Court in Covington County, Mississippi, dated February 1859, show Magee and his father, Ephriam were owned by slave-owner Hugh Magee. Magee insists May 29, 1841, was his birth date and that he was sold to Hugh Magee’s father who died in 1859. Magee said he obtained freedom after the fall of Vicksburg and served with Union troops.

He wasn’t totally forgotten; President Lyndon Johnson sent him special greetings for his 124th birthday in 1965.   He remained obscure until an article Jet Magazine, 11 May, 1967 was published and then Time Magazine, wrote an article about him and other long-lived individuals in their Friday, Jul. 14, 1967 issue. 

I recently acquired Sylvester Magee’s autograph along with a cover letter from his friend and lawyer.  The second sheet was an affidavit, signed and sealed that the enclosed was indeed, Mr Magee’s signature.  There it was in red ink as bold and clear as you could ask.  A fine red X.  Yes, Sylvester Magee was illiterate but clear of mind.  His mind was so clear that the VA admitted him as a Union veteran and the VA representative was astounded as to the clarity of his memory of the Civil War.


Normally I wouldn’t trust an inscribed X on a document, but this one was written just before Mr Magee became famous and came with impeccable documentation.  The title of World’s Oldest man is passed from one to another, never held for long and the holder always passes it on to the next.

Magee held several titles simultaneously:  Worlds Oldest Man, Oldest Union Veteran, and Oldest Living Ex-Slave   One additional oldest might possibly be Oldest Confederate Veteran.  He had been a Confederate conscript according to the book Black Confederates by Barrow, Segars and Rosenburg, published in 2001.

Sylvester Magee passed away in 15 October 1971 and his obituary was carried in local newspapers as well as Jet Magazine, 11 May 1971.

8 comments:

  1. This has been an experience exploring and learning more than I ever have regarding my great great great grandfather. This has made an major impact on my life and the life of the youth in our family. This has been a blessing and I cannot be more proud or blessed to be a part of this man's historical legacy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to respond. We were in the processes of moving our shop and home and I just did not see your comment. How truly wonderful that you were able to find this blog post. I have been doing my families genealogy since the 1970's and I did not get very far until I went online and now I have a wealth of information. Sylvester Magee was by all accounts a most remarkable man and a witness to such a big chunk of American history. You know you are very lucky to have him in your family tree. So many of us just do not have such interesting ancestors. If you turn up any new information about him let me know and I will post it for you on this blog!
      Yours,
      Michael W. Moses
      South Coast Antiques
      Ocean Springs, MS

      Delete
    2. Hi everyone this is my great grandfather. I have been researching this for a long time and finally we found the proof my great grandma marie before married was a knox my grandmother marie mcgee is how they spell it now. Not magee which i found funny are in pictures with my great gma. I knew it was true I judt failed to listen. I cant believe that my great grandpa lived to be 130 years old. It would of been a pleasure to know or meet him.what a hero.

      Delete
    3. I am a historian at the University of Southern Mississippi working on the history of your great grandfather. Would you mind speaking about him?

      Delete
  2. Wow! Who is your grandfather/mother? We maybe related. I am also trying to learn more about the Magee legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is also my grandfather rayonia magee is my name zebeede magee is also my grandfather which is grandpa sylvester's son :0i will be doing a project on him for BLACK HISTORY MONTH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zeebeede, feel free to use the information and images for your project. Just credit your sources as usual. I'm always happy to help. I'm glad that your family put up a memorial to your grandfather.

      Delete
  4. Dear Ms. Magee: I amba historian at the University of Southern Mississippi working on Mr. Magen's history. Would you be interested in speaking about this?

    ReplyDelete